Alexandra is a crowded township adjacent to Africa’s financial capital. The Kidz Clinic is strategically situated behind the New Alexandra Police Station.
|Clinic Manager & Victim Support Co-ordinator||Social Worker||Operations Director & Forensic Nurse||Auxiliary Social Worker||Supervisor & Child Safety Consultant|
|More about Elizabeth||More about Tsholo||More about Vincentia||More about Luke|
ABOUT ALEXANDRA KIDZ CLINIC
Alexandra Kidz Clinic opened in 2003 and is a vital service provider to the community of Alexandra. The clinic is situated in the Victim Empowerment Centre, within the Alex SAPS building where we work closely with crime prevention officers.
When looking at the urban situation within Alexandra three broad interrelated issues need to be placed firmly into the spotlight.
- The historical context of land dispossession and the political context of struggle against forced removal.
- The absolute importance of prime location to the urban poor.
- The difficult balance between need and long term sustainability/ affordability.
The historical and political context has resulted in a set of challenges within Alexandra that are complex and cut across physical, economic, social and institutional factors.
In brief, the following describes Alexandra:
- The area is characterised by unregulated land use that is not linked to an effective land use development framework or development control system. There is overcrowding with an average density of 700 people per hectare. This high density has become a source of social stress and conflict. There are large scale unplanned informal and backyard settlements resulting in a degraded/polluted environment.
- There is a high unemployment rate (± 60%) and very low income levels. Most people are unskilled and regarded as unemployable within the sub-regional economy.
- The demographic profile of Alexandra is youthful and male.
- There is inadequate social welfare support to vulnerable groups with only 10% of households registered for welfare grants.
- There is an absence of adequate social infrastructure particularly recreational and sporting facilities.
- There is a lack of civic pride resulting in dumping and vandalism.
- Further there are high levels of HIV/Aids, substance abuse, domestic violence etc.
- At the institutional level there is little geographic and uncoordinated coverage of government services. Poor service delivery and low payment levels for services, as well as fragmentation of services for example between SAPS, MPD and other emergency Services.
All of these inter-related issues result in a high level of neglect and abuse towards the children of Alexandra.
The staff at our clinic are very involved in community projects and awareness campaigns along with local organisations and government such as SAPS, Metro Police, CPF, Thusong Youth Centre, Alex Youth Desk, ADAPT, Adopt a Cop, Life Line, NOAH and Khulani Youth Project.
DIRECTIONS TO ALEXANDRA KIDZ CLINIC
New Alexandra SAPS Station
69 15th Avenue
Tel: 011 321 7614
- Take M1 South (from PTA) / M1 North (From JHB) towards Sandton, exit at Grayston Drive.
- From Johannesburg, turn right on Grayston towards Wynberg / from Pretoria, turn left on Grayston towards Wynberg along Rautenbach Avenue.
- Pass 1st set of traffic lights (6th Street) and turn right at the 2nd set of traffic lights into 5th Street.
- Turn left at the next set of traffic lights into Arkwright Avenue.
- Proceed straight, through the first set of traffic lights (4th Ave), and across the second set of traffic lights (Louis Botha Avenue).
- Continue along Arkwright Avenue. It will become Wynberg Road and then London Avenue.
- At Caltex garage on right, cross over traffic lights, over 13th Avenue.
- Turn left into first road, just before the house in the middle of London road. (About 150m beyond the Caltex Garage)
- Cross over the first road (Rooth) as well as Rooseveldt Street, and turn left into Selbourne Street. Turn left at the T-junction, and Alexandra SAPS is on the right hand side.
- Go through the gates and park. Walk past SAPS office, to the Victim Support Unit.
- Kidz Clinic is on the 1st floor
From N3 / N12 travelling south
- Pass Van Buuren & Linksfield off ramps.
- Take London Road Off Ramp and Turn Left into London Road.
- Proceed along London Road until 16th Avenue where you will turn right. (About 150m before the Caltex Garage.
- Cross over the first road as well as Rooseveldt Street, and turn left into Selbourne Street. Turn left at the stop street, and Alexandra SAPS is on the right hand side.